Thursday, April 21, 2016

Cart or Horse? Am I getting ahead of myself?

When I originally thought about embarking on the “EM Bounds Journey,” I was excited to learn about prayer. I wanted to know the x, y, and z of how I should be praying. I was feeling like my prayers were bouncing off the ceiling. It sometimes felt like I was talking to an imaginary friend or possibly even just talking to myself. I was feeling lost at how to know that I really was connecting with the Lord. I had questions about what prayer really is. How should I pray? Does God answer my prayers just because I pray them or would they get answered even if I didn’t pray? What am I “allowed” to pray for? What does it feel like to be in REAL prayer? Why do some seem to be answered and some don’t? I know that prayer is talking and listening to God, but I felt like there were still some unanswered questions about how to have a life built on prayer and to pray prayers that were transformational for myself, for others and the world around me.

Until I read this chapter (Chapter 6-A Praying Ministry Successful), I was feeling like the cart was coming before the horse. I enjoyed Bounds’ writing and have been inspired by what he’s writing, but I wanted to know specifics and mechanics of prayer. Give me a formula and I’ll pray exactly how I’m supposed to. However, I thought about Bounds’ approach, and ultimately thought about what God is calling me to in prayer, I realized there’s so much more to it than praying with a bounded, formula, rules-based plan.

I’m a pretty big fan of the tv show Friends. There’s an episode where Phoebe (the eclectic, kind of strange, hippie-ish character who plays guitar and sings) is teaching Joey (the goofy, absent-minded bachelor, actor) how to play the guitar. Joey automatically assumes that he’ll start learning by playing an actual guitar, but Phoebe is quick to tell him that until he masters the chord positions with his hands by practicing on an “air guitar,” he doesn’t get to touch the real thing. While comical in the show, this parallels how I feel the Lord leading me with prayer. I need to examine the position of my heart, the mentality in which I approach prayer, and then I can dive deeper into the more specifics of who, what, where, when and how to pray.

Bounds knew better which was the cart and which was the horse. He knew that we first had to realize that prayer is the ESSENTIAL piece to preaching, ministry and at the bottom line, life. He knew that it wasn’t about praying specific words in a specific order in a specific place, but that prayer was how we abided with God. He knew that prayer was a position the heart had to be in and that that position had to be fully connected to God. As he says, “He [a prayerful minister] is deeply stored with and deeply schooled in the things of God. His long, deep communings with God about his people and the agony of his wrestling spirit have crowned him as a prince in the things of God. The iciness of the mere professional has long since melted under the intensity of his praying.” Bounds points out that the essence of prayer and the essential piece of having a truly successful ministry is that we are SO caught up with God, that we know so much about Him, and the we are so focused on Jesus. He reminds us that once prayer is the center of who we are and what we do, then our ministry will be successful; not on a professional level, where numbers of people or how flashy our preaching is are the only things that matter, but successful for the Kingdom of God and the work He is doing in and through us.

Later in the chapter, I did start to feel like I was scratching the surface of more specific guiding on how to pray and what prayer looks and feels like. But even in these descriptions, he didn’t lay out a yearly praying plan or a 10 step program to have your prayers answered. He still put things in a relational and centered-on-Jesus kind of light. Bounds writes, “God to them [God’s true preachers] was the center of attraction, and prayer was the path that led to God….they so prayed that their prayers entered into and shaped their characters; they so prayed as to affect their own lives and the lives of others; they so prayed as to make the history of the Church and influence the current of the times.” My heart is stirred. My heart is refreshed at reading this. I am reminded how big prayer is. I’m reminded that prayer is a lot about learning who God is by following “the path that led to God.” I’m reminded that it’s partially about my life, but a lot about the lives of people around me and the world around me. I’m reminded that I should be praying in a way that forms who I am. And through the examples of men of the Bible who prayed well “Paul, a striving with earnest effort of soul; what it was to Jacob, a wrestling and prevailing; what it was to Christ, “strong crying and tears,” Bounds begins to lay out for me a “plan” for praying. “They ‘prayed always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance.”

So how then how am I going to go forward with prayer?: centered, character-shaping, fervent, striving, earnest, wrestling, prevailing, and often I will be praying with strong crying and tears.


Not all my questions are answered in this one little chapter, but I can feel the Lord moving in new ways in my heart and life of prayer. He’s moving me to see prayer not as a formula to get an answer that I want or even an answer at all, but instead seeking Him to change me, move me, to get to know Him and to help change the lives of people and the world around me. 

1 comment:

  1. So, while it seemed at one point you were going to advocate that we practice "air prayer," just as Joey was seeking to learn guitar from Phoebe without actually laying his hands on the instrument, is your conclusion that we learn to pray by praying? I've shared at various points the lesson I learned in one of my rare dalliances with power-boating. If you are tied alongside the dock, and want to pull away from the dock, you cannot simply turn the wheel and then engage the engine, even though that's how you would pull a car away from a curb. No, because the thrust of the engine pushing sideways will grind the aft quarter of the boat against the dock, you first have to be moving forward before more gradually arcing your way toward open water. All the refinements we might hope to make in our prayers presume that we are first moving forward (i.e., praying). Of course, in an emergency, you can always push the bow of the boat away from the dock first, just as you can always fall on your knees (figuratively for the arthritics among us) and trust the Holy Spirit to translate "groanings too deep for words." But Bounds, of course, has something far more profound in view than "emergency praying." I'm reminded in this reading of Bounds that prayer is among both the simplest and most complex activities of human existence. "Lord, help!" is a valid conversation starter, and perhaps all the further that an individual may go when under the stress of certain circumstances. But as with any conversation with good friends, prayer may also consume us for hours and reveal greater depths of God's relationship with us than we would otherwise see. That's the way, as I see it, that he does change us, move us, allow us to "know him and to help change the lives of people and the world around me," as you concluded.

    ReplyDelete